Co-op and summer students have the option of waiting until they complete their degree program to enroll in CPA PEP and start Core 1. Learners are eligible to receive credit for up to 12 months (cumulative rather than consecutive) of experience completed prior to the date they register in CPA PEP by submitting a prior experience report. If you select this option you should apply to CPAWSB and CPA PEP as an applicant with a Canadian Degree after you have graduated or when you are in your final semester (if you are looking at starting CPA PEP soon after graduating).
Co-op and summer students who are following the pre-approved program path (PPR) can enroll during a work term as a candidate in the CPA Professional Education Program to begin accumulating practical experience in the Practical Experience Reporting Tool (PERT). As a CPA candidate, you will be required to maintain your registration in the program by completing annual re-enrollment and paying dues to the school each year. Dues are required even if you are not currently completing a work term. Failure to pay dues each year will result in loss of access to PERT and a mandatory withdrawal from the program which must be declared if you re-apply to PEP. If you select this option, continue with the admission process steps outlined below.
When considering which option would be best for you, be aware that if you choose option two, your timeline to complete the program will begin the day you are admitted to CPA PEP. If you choose to enter CPA PEP over 1 year before you will be starting modules, please note that you will have a reduced amount of time to complete the education portion of the program as your experience deadline will override the deadline for education.
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or persons who are otherwise lawfully permitted to work and study in Canada can enroll in the CPA certification program. If you are a temporary resident, you are required to hold a valid study permit to apply for admission to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) or CPA preparatory courses and to maintain your enrollment with CPAWSB. For more details, please refer to the Residency, Study Permits and Language Advisory.
CPA education programs, including CPA preparatory courses and CPA PEP, require high English proficiency. Generally, anyone with CLB levels below 8 will need to spend additional time on their studies. For more information, please refer to the Residency, Study Permits and Language Advisory.
To submit a transcript assessment request:
- Log into My CPA Portal.
- Select PROGRAM ADMISSION.
- Select TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT.
- Click on the + ADD A TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT REQUEST button
- Use the document checklist to determine which documents to submit for the assessment.
- Review your transcript assessment order.
- Click on the MAKE PAYMENT button.
The non-refundable transcript assessment fee is $100 + GST and subject to change.
Note: To ensure your documents are attached to your profile, request and pay for a transcript assessment before arranging for documents to be sent to CPAWSB.
Now that you have requested the transcript assessment, if you are looking at registering into Core 1 immediately following the completion of your degree and you don’t want to miss the module registration deadline, you can jump to admission step 4 below and register for Core 1 before your documents have been submitted and your transcript assessment has been completed. Your assessment must still be completed before the Core 1 start date. For more information about starting as a conditional candidate, click here. Ignore the information about completing an admission application (as you already have an approved admission application), but the remaining information is applicable when you register for Core 1. Whether you are starting early as a conditional candidate or not, continue with the following admission steps.
- Requesting a Transcript Assessment FAQ
- Using the document checklist - Video
- Using the document checklist - PDF
- Applying Early as a Conditional Candidate
Review the resources above and if you still have unanswered questions about requesting the transcript assessment, understanding how to use the document checklist, or your next steps, please contact the Transcript Assessment team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6003.
Have official transcripts submitted to CPAWSB directly from the post-secondary institutions you attended. All official transcripts and documents submitted for transcript assessment must be mailed in a sealed (unopened) envelope directly from the issuing institutions to our office.
If your institution offers electronic official transcripts, please have them emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Do not send documents to provincial CPA offices as this may result in significant delay in completing your transcript assessment. Documents in a language other than English require translation and must be submitted to CPAWSB by a certified translator.
When documents are received, you will be notified by email and your document checklist will be updated. Log into your My CPA profile and review the document checklist to see what has been updated. Once all required documents are received, you will also be notified by email, and your transcript assessment will begin. See Using the Document Checklist for more details.
Transcript assessments are typically completed within 10 business days after CPAWSB receives all required documents. You will receive an email notification when your Transcript Assessment results are available.
You may qualify for early conditional enrollment, which means you can jump to admission step 4 below and register for Core 1 while registration is open, without having to wait for the transcript assessment to be completed. Click here for more information. Ignore the information about completing an admission application (as you already have an approved admission application), but the remaining information is applicable when you register for Core 1. Whether you are starting early as a conditional candidate or not, continue with the following admission steps.
- Submitting Documents FAQ
- Using the Document Checklist (Video)
- Using the Document Checklist (PDF)
- Applying to CPA PEP Early as a Conditional Candidate
Review the resources above. If you still have unanswered questions regarding the documents you are required to submit, or any additional questions about your transcript assessment, please contact the Transcript Assessment team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6003.
To view your assessment results, log into My CPA Profile and click on PROGRAM ADMISSION and then TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT.
Your transcript assessment will indicate your eligibility status as one of the following:
- PEP Eligible: You have met all requirements to participate in CPA PEP. No further review of your transcript assessment is required. If you have not already registered for Core 1 as a conditional candidate, you may now do so.
- PEP Conditional Core 1: You can enroll in CPA PEP and start Core 1 as a conditional candidate. Review your transcript assessment and see Starting CPA PEP with a status of PEP Conditional Core 1. They contain information on what you need to do to become fully PEP Eligible and when you must complete outstanding requirements to continue your studies in CPA PEP. If you have not already registered for Core 1 as a conditional candidate, you may now do so.
- PEP Ineligible: As a Co-op/Summer student it will be unlikely that you see this eligibility status as a result. It means you must meet outstanding requirements before you can participate in CPA PEP. Please review your transcript assessment and the assessor comments for more details. Outstanding requirements will be highlighted in red. If your assessment indicates prerequisite courses are still required, you have the option to complete those outstanding prerequisites by taking CPA preparatory courses offered by CPAWSB or by taking equivalent courses through a recognized post-secondary institution. If you do end up with this eligibility status result, contact the transcript assessment team to investigate your completed transcript assessment with you.
- Understanding your Transcript Assessment Results Guide
- Understanding your Assessment Results FAQ
- Re-assessment Processes and Challenge Exams
- Starting CPA PEP with a status of PEP Conditional Core 1
If you have questions about your transcript assessment results or if a possible error was made in your assessment, please contact the Transcript Assessment team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6003.
- CPA PEP Information for Current Candidates
- CPA PEP FAQs
- CPA PEP Registration Schedule
- CPA PEP Administrative Fees
If you have questions regarding your CPA PEP Core 1 registration, contact the PEP Module Services by emailing email@example.com or call 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6005.