Are you planning to register for a CPA preparatory course so you can apply for admission into the CPA Professional Education Program? Below we have compiled tips for a smooth registration and answered common questions.
1. Meet the Eligibility Requirement:
To get started in CPA preparatory courses you need: One year (30 credits) of post-secondary study in any discipline at a recognized post-secondary institution OR three years of work experience with exposure to accounting and/or finance functions.
Once you meet these requirements you can start the registration process.
2. Get Your Transcripts Assessed:
- Create a profile in My CPA Portal and request a Transcript Assessment.
- Have any post-secondary institutions you attended send official copies of your transcripts directly to CPAWSB. We will notify you when the assessment is complete and the results are available in My CPA Portal. The assessment will indicate which CPA preparatory courses you need to complete for entry into CPA PEP.
Note: Transcript assessments typically takes between four and six weeks after the School receives all documentation. Assessments that include international education or designations can take up to eight weeks.
So, if you’re thinking about starting CPA preparatory courses this fall, now is the time to get your transcripts assessed. If you are applying using three years experience, you will be required to submit additional documentation.
Transcript Assessment FAQs:
- Q: How long does a transcript assessment take?
- A: The current processing time is four-to-six weeks.
- Q: How long does it take to complete a CPA preparatory course?
- A: Each CPA preparatory course is at least 6 weeks of learning followed by an exam, unless there is a statutory holiday break.
- Q: Can I register for a course while I wait for my assessment to be completed?
- A: No. You must have a completed transcript assessment before submitting an admission application
- Q: What do I do after I receive my transcript assessment?
- A: Submit an admission application or contact the Advising Team to develop a course completion plan; the course matrix is here.
3. Submit your Admission Application:
To apply for the CPA preparatory courses:
- Log into My CPA Portal (if you don’t know your password, click on ‘Forgot your password?’)
- Click on ‘Program Admission’ and then on ‘Admission Application’
- Fill out all required information and submit your admission application.
Admission Application FAQs:
- Q: Do international students need a study permit to enroll in CPA preparatory courses?
- A: Yes, prospective students must be eligible to study in Canada, regardless of the number of courses they require in the program.
- Q: When will I receive my CPAWSB student ID card?
- A: CPAWSB does not issue ID cards to students. If you require a student verification letter, please submit your request via e-mail to the admission services team at email@example.com.
- Q: Why are two prices listed for ‘New Student Dues’ on the fee schedule?
- A: Students pay annual dues to be eligible to enroll in courses. New students registering with CPAWSB between April 1 and September 30 pay full-year dues and new students registering between October 1 and March 31 pay half-year dues. Continuing students pay full-year dues annually. Dues expire every year on March 31.
- Q: When are courses offered?
- A: Application deadlines and course dates are available here. The next CPA preparatory course registration period starts in mid-July for courses starting in October.
4. Register for a Course:
After your admission application is approved and during the course registration period, return to My CPA Portal and complete the following steps to register for a course:
- Click on ‘Registrations’ and then on ‘Module Registration’
- Click on ‘Add Module Registration’
- Select the appropriate semester
- Select the box next to the course and delivery option you are registering for then click ‘Next’ (you will only be able to select the courses that you are eligible for)
- Select your exam location, then click ‘Next’
- Proceed to the payment section
- Q: When can I expect enrollment confirmation
- A: Please expect confirmation of course enrollment within three business days after completing the registration.
- Q: When will I be able to access the course content?
- A: Course materials are available in our online learning portal the Friday before the course starts for Core courses and approximately twelve weeks before the exam for non-core courses. Students registering for non-core courses between twelve and six weeks before the exam are granted access to the course materials within five business days of registration.
- Q: What happens if I miss the registration deadline?
- A: CPA preparatory courses do not have a wait-list. To register after the deadline, contact the admission services team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration reminders are emailed approximately two weeks before core course registration closes.
5. Make a Payment:
Registration payments are due by credit card, through My CPA Portal, during registration. There is NO option to pay later or via cheque.
- Q: When do I pay these fees?
- A: The admission fee is due when you submit an admission application. At the time you will indicate the course(s) you are planning to take, and the registration course fee is due when you register.
More FAQs are on our website
If you have any questions about registering for CPA preparatory courses, please contact email@example.com.