Exam writers receive CPA issued laptops at the examination writing centre to write their exams. These laptops are preloaded with the lockdown software Surpass (SecureClient). For more information on Surpass (SecureClient), and to help familiarize you with the exam writing environment, please refer to the CPA Canada website.
Please arrive early to sign into the exam centre.
- If you are writing in Burnaby, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, or Winnipeg, arrive by 7:30 a.m.
- If you are writing in other locations, arrive by 8:00 a.m.
- Surpass (SecureClient) instructions begin in all exam centres at 8:30 a.m.
You are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement at the exam; this is the first page of the exam booklet.
You are required to read and accept the obligations and conditions of the Training Contract during the module registration process via My CPA portal. The training contract outlines expectations about not sharing exam details.
You can defer CPA module exams for any reason and are not required to request permission. Fees are applied to all deferrals. Please note, the CFE is not a module exam and cannot be deferred. If you wish to postpone writing the CFE you must withdraw and register again during the next CFE registration period.
Module exam deferral is available only via My CPA Portal and only during the week immediately before an exam and within three days after the exam. The deferral process is as follows:
- One week before the exam, the module status for candidates eligible to write the exam changes from New-to-QTR (Qualified to Write) in My CPA Portal.
- Log into the portal and select Exam Deferral.
- Follow the prompts and pay the deferral fee.
- Register for the next exam offering if the module registration period is open, or during the next module registration period.
If you defer an exam you must write it at the next available offering. If you do not register for the next exam offering, do not write the exam at the next offering, or withdraw from a deferred exam, you will automatically fail the module.