Capstone 1 is an integrative module with an emphasis on team management and how to communicate in a professional environment. The module deepens strategic leadership competencies using the knowledge acquired in the prerequisites and earlier CPA PEP modules. Throughout the module, groups work to complete a large business case, which relates to Day 1 of the Common Final Examination (CFE). Instead of writing an exam, groups are evaluated on presentations of a board report based on the case.
During Capstone 1, you:
- Work in groups to research specific topic areas related to the case provided in the Capstone 1 workshop
- Use core and elective competencies while developing key enabling skills
- Draft and orally present a business case
- Develop abilities in competencies such as teamwork, negotiation, and oral communication
Grouping and Scheduling
Groups are assigned based on location, elective choice, and candidate DiSC scores. Groups are assigned before the Capstone 1 module workshop.
Capstone 1 panel presentation dates are posted a year in advance. Groups are assigned a presentation time slot during one of the scheduled days; assigned time slots will be posted two days before Capstone 1 starts. Specific presentation locations and information will be posted two weeks before the presentation dates. Changes to assigned groups and presentation time slots are not permitted. Each group is allotted 90 minutes, which includes set-up time, presentation time, questions from the panel, panel deliberation, and verbal feedback from the panel to the group.
Groups should arrive at the presentation centre fifteen minutes before their the presentation time to sign in and avoid delays.
If you are in Capstone 1 and have questions about your presentation, contact email@example.com.
What to Bring
What to Bring Capstone groups are expected to arrive on time, conduct themselves in a professional manner, and be fully prepared to deliver their presentations. Groups are required to bring:
- Government-issued photo ID for each group member
- Name tags for each group member (first and last name required)
- A laptop for the presentation
CPAWSB will provide the following:
- A presentation space
- Projector and screen
- Adapters for PC (HDMI, VGA)
- Please note that groups using a MacBook laptop will be responsible for providing the appropriate adapters
- Water (food and other beverages will not be provided)
Results will be released per the module schedule; the panel does not provide pass/fail results. Unsuccessful groups will be notified by email and will be required to re-present. Re-presentations are typically coordinated via video conference and information will be provided to unsuccessful groups as required.