Members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) who are in good standing and are seeking the Canadian CPA designation are:
- Exempt from all CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) modules but are strongly encouraged to complete Capstone 1 and Capstone 2 (completing these modules is not mandatory, but will help prepare you for the CFE).
- Required to pass the Common Final Examination (CFE).
The CFE assumes a core level of knowledge of Canadian tax law, Canadian business law, and Canadian accounting standards for private entities. You may wish to enhance your knowledge in these subject areas before attempting the CFE.
CPAWSB offers CPA PEP Review Materials Modules (RMM) modules to provide candidates access to module content and related solution guides for self-study purposes to assist with exam preparations.
To become a CPA, you will need to obtain 30 months of relevant practical experience.
If your post-qualification experience as an ICAI member meets either of the following conditions, your experience will not have to be assessed for CPA certification:
- more than five years of post-qualification experience and no recognized university degree or
- more than two years of post-qualification experience and a recognized degree.
If your experience does not fit either category above, your practical experience obtained pre- and post-qualification will need to be assessed for CPA certification. If required, the experience bridging assessment is completed after the academic bridging assessment is completed. You will receive experience bridging forms and instructions when you receive your academic bridging results.
You can submit your admission application for CPA PEP once the academic bridging assessment is completed even if your experience bridging is still being assessed.
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or persons who are otherwise lawfully permitted to work and study in Canada can enroll in the CPA certification program. If you are a temporary resident, you are required to hold a valid study permit to apply for admission to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) or CPA preparatory courses and to maintain your enrollment with CPAWSB. For more details, please refer to the Residency, Study Permits and Language Advisory.
CPA education programs, including CPA preparatory courses and CPA PEP, require high English proficiency. Generally, anyone with CLB levels below 8 will need to spend additional time on their studies. For more information, please refer to the Residency, Study Permits and Language Advisory.
- Visit My CPA Portal and click on the Create a My CPA Profile link using a desktop or laptop with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.
- Enter your legal name when creating your profile.
- Select your residency status in Canada: Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident (of Canada), or Temporary Resident (of Canada).
- Enter all completed and in-progress post-secondary education and designation information, even if you don’t plan to submit documents for that education/designation history.
- Activate your profile by setting your password. You will receive instructions via email shortly after creating your profile.
Important: Use the UPLOAD A DOCUMENT functionality within your profile only when submitting your legal name verification documentation with a CPA PEP admission application. Do not use it for submitting any other documents to CPAWSB as those documents will be deleted. When submitting other required documents, follow the directions provided in the admission steps below and elsewhere on this page.
Review the resources above and if you still have unanswered questions about creating, accessing, or navigating your profile, please contact an Admission Advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6001.
To submit a transcript assessment request:
- Log into My CPA Portal.
- Select PROGRAM ADMISSION.
- Select TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT.
- Click on the + ADD A TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT REQUEST button.
- Use the document checklist to determine which documents to submit for the assessment.
- Review your transcript assessment order.
- Click on the MAKE PAYMENT button.
The non-refundable transcript assessment fee is $100 + GST and subject to change.
Note: To ensure your documents are attached to your profile, request and pay for a transcript assessment before arranging for documents to be sent to CPAWSB.
- Requesting a Transcript Assessment FAQ
- Using a Document Checklist - Video
- Using a Document Checklist - PDF
Review the resources above and if you still have unanswered questions about requesting a transcript assessment or understanding how to use the document checklist, please contact an Admission Advisor by emailing email@example.com or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6001.
To help us confirm your ICAI membership and determine your eligibility for the CFE, please have a Letter of Good Standing submitted directly from ICAI confirming your membership.
The Letter of Good Standing must include the following confirmations:
- Your active member status.
- Any disciplinary actions taken.
- The expiry date listed; if not specified, the letter will be valid for up to one year from the date of issuance.
- That your membership was earned through passing the qualifying examination of the accounting body, and not via affiliation or mutual recognition agreements.
CPAWSB requires your official Letter of Good Standing to process your application. Upon receiving this letter, you will receive an email confirmation. After your assessment is complete, you can submit your CPA PEP admission application.
Request ICAI to submit the official Letter of Good Standing directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail* in an unopened sealed envelope to:
CPA Western School of Business
201, 1074 – 103A Street SW
Edmonton, Alberta, T6W 2P6
*Sending documents to provincial CPA offices may significantly delay your transcript assessment. Non-English documents must be translated and submitted to CPAWSB by a certified translator.
Note: If you don't meet the ICAI MOU eligibility requirements during the assessment, you will be assessed under a different applicant type if eligible. Any additional document requirements can be found on the respective applicant page.
Review the resources above. If you still have unanswered questions regarding the documents you are required to submit, or any additional questions about the admission steps, please contact the PEP Admission Services team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6002.
Upon completion of your assessment, you will receive an email with your Academic Bridging Results. These results will explain your standing and eligibility for enrollment under the ICAI MOU pathway. It will also provide information about Experience Bridging and additional information and resources.
You will receive another email after your assessment is completed. To view your assessment status, log in to your My CPA profile:
- In My CPA Portal, navigate to PROGRAM ADMISSION.
- Click on TRANSCRIPT ASSESSMENT to access your completed Assessment.
The transcript assessment should indicate your eligibility status as PEP Eligible. You may now proceed to step 5 and submit an admission application for CPA PEP when you are ready.
If you have questions about the transcript assessment and your Academic Bridging Results or regarding your next steps, please contact the PEP Admission Services team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6002.
Once your assessment is completed indicating you are PEP Eligible and you have received your Academic Bridging Results email, you can now submit your CPA PEP admission application. Find more details on when and how to apply below.
Note: Select International Designate - MOU as your registration category when completing the CPA PEP admission application as an applicant with an International Designation under an established MOU.
Click on the link above for more information about submitting an admission application for CPA PEP. If you have questions about submitting a CPA PEP admission application or starting CPA PEP as an International Designate under an established MOU, please contact the CPA Admission Services team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1.866.420.2350 ext. 6002.