What are the requirements to begin Core 1?

Sep 2, 2022
Photo credit: VectorMine/Depositphotos.com
Core 1 is the first module of the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) and Candidates must meet a minimum set of requirements before they can start the module. 

1. What are the requirements for CPA PEP?

To be eligible for CPA PEP you must meet the following requirements:
  • Complete a Canadian degree or equivalent
  • Obtain 120 post-secondary credit hours
  • Complete all 14 prerequisite courses 
  • Achieve 65% or higher GPA on the core courses

2. What if I do not have a degree?

If you don’t have a degree, you can be assessed to enter CPA PEP as a Mature Applicant. You must have at least eight years of relevant, full-time work experience in any of the CPA technical competency areas: 
  • Financial Reporting
  • Strategy and Governance (Performance Management)
  • Management Accounting
  • Audit and Assurance
  • Finance 
  • Taxation 
If you meet this requirement, submit a transcript assessment and required documents. Your assessment will be reviewed by a committee. If your application is approved, the degree and credit hour requirements will be waived. However, you are still required to complete the prerequisite courses and meet the minimum GPA standard. 

3. If I completed my degree outside Canada, what additional steps do I need to take to have it recognized?

You will be required to send CPAWSB a third-party credential evaluation report, which verifies the Canadian equivalency of your education. We encourage applicants to get a WES ICAP report, as it includes:
  • Canadian equivalency report
  • Copy of the official transcript 
  • Translation of official transcript/documents 

In addition to a WES ICAP report, we accept reports from any of the organizations listed on ACESC website

Please note: Other report types will not provide CPAWSB with official transcripts or translated transcripts/documents. If you decide to use another third-party credential evaluation service, you will need to send CPAWSB the official transcript and translations separately.

4. I had a third-party report completed for immigration purposes. Can I just send a copy of the same report?

Yes, we accept this report type. However, if you have completed accounting related education we will require the official transcript as well. If you have a WES report completed for immigration purposes, you will be unable to upgrade it to a WES ICAP; you may need to request a new report.  

5. I have completed all the prerequisite courses and degree requirements, but my degree has not been conferred. Can I still begin in Core 1? 

Yes, you can register and begin Core 1. However, we must receive the official transcript showing the date the degree was conferred before the next module (Core 2) exam.

6. What kind of documents do I need to provide?

Please provide all documents listed as required on the document checklist of your transcripts assessment. Refer the document checklist tutorial on how to use your document checklist.

7. Do you accept unofficial documents? 

Yes, we accept unofficial documents for your initial assessment. But you must submit the official documents before you can write the Core 2 exam. 

If you have questions about the requirements for Core 1 contact transcriptassessment@cpawsb.ca or learn about admission requirements on our website.