What is the Gap Verification process?

May 20, 2022
Photo credit: Gajus-Images/Depositphotos.com
If you have recently completed any CPA prerequisite courses after getting your transcript assessment done, then you need to go through the Gap Verification process to update your transcript assessment. We have addressed some of the frequently asked questions below:

1. I have completed CPA prerequisite courses at a post-secondary institution. How do I have my assessment updated?

You do not need to request a gap verification through the My CPA portal. Have your post-secondary institution send us a copy of the official transcript either by mail to our office or by email to transcriptassessment@cpawsb.ca. You will receive an automated email once we receive the official document. 

2. I have completed CPA preparatory courses, when will my marks be updated?

CPA preparatory course marks will be updated by a staff member before the next results release. Therefore, you do not need to request a gap verification on My CPA portal. Once your assessment has been updated you will receive an automated e-mail indicating that your results have been updated.

3. How often can I update my assessment?

If you have completed CPA prerequisite courses or additional courses to increase your credit hours, you can update your assessment anytime as long as your transcript assessment has not expired.

4. I have not yet completed my degree but have finished some courses and would like to update my assessment. Do I have to send multiple copies of my official transcript? 

We accept unofficial transcripts to update the grades for the completed courses. Keep in mind that an official transcript will be required once the degree has been awarded. 

Unofficial transcripts can be sent by email to transcriptassessment@cpawsb.ca. For your CPAWSB transcript assessment to be updated, the unofficial transcript must include:
  • Your first and last name
  • Your student number
  • Institution name
  • Course codes/names
  • Year and semesters of the completed courses
  • Final grades obtained

5. Can I update recently completed courses even though my transcript assessment has expired?

If your CPAWSB transcript assessment has expired, you will need to request and pay for a new one. We will use the documents on file from your previous assessment if their retention period has not elapsed. However, you must request that issuing post-secondary institutions submit official transcripts to CPAWSB so that we can verify the recently completed courses.

6. How long does it take complete a gap verification?

From the time we receive your document, it can take up to 10 business days to complete a gap verification.
If you have questions about the gap verification process, you may contact transcriptassessment@cpawsb.ca.